About Us

The Brookbanks family opened the first Masco Wools store in Karangahape Road in Auckland city in 1945 and so began a 70 plus year involvement in the hand knitting industry which is ongoing to this day , through 3 family generations. The K Road store as it was affectionately named became an Auckland institution for knitters and in its hay day 10 staff members were on hand to service them. Over the next 40 years branches grew to 13 stores including a Whangarei store all adhering to the Masco’s vision of service and huge range of yarn at competitive prices.
As yarn has evolved from a necessity to more of an enthusiast market the number of stores has reduced and now we are entering an exciting new phase of on-line only. This article appeared in the Auckland Star on February 16th , 1965.


Just another busy day in KRd in the 60’s.


Mt Roskill shopfront in the 1950’s.

Sadly our last store closed May 29th 2016 to make way for a new mall and office/ apartment tower in the Auckland CBD.